Aunt Lute accepting internship applications for Fall
Aunt Lute Books is a nonprofit, multicultural women’s press in the Mission District of San Francisco, within walking distance of the 16th and 24th Street Mission BART stations. Since 1982, we have published women’s voices that are underrepresented in mainstream presses by virtue of race, ethnicity, sexuality, socio-economic background, age, or geographic location. Aunt Lute’s titles include fiction, poetry, and critical essays by Paula Gunn Allen, Gloria Anzaldúa, Judy Grahn, Ginu Kamani, Audre Lorde, and Alice Walker. We have also published groundbreaking anthologies of Southeast Asian, Filipina and Filipina American, and Native American women writers.
ABOUT OUR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
We are looking for two interns, one in marketing and the other in production. For both positions, we are looking for candidates with the following skills and attributes:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A passion for our mission and an interest in multicultural women’s literature
- Exacting attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Proficiency in web, social media, and computer programs
- For production, proficiency in Word, Excel, and Adobe InDesign are desirable. For marketing, the ideal candidate will have proficiency in Word, Excel, WordPress, Google Analytics, MailChimp, and one or more of the Adobe design programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Flexbility, motivation, and the ability to work independently
While interns collaborate with all members of the Aunt Lute staff on a wide variety of projects, the marketing and production interns will be particularly involved with the following activities:
The marketing intern will work with the Marketing Director and other staff to promote Aunt Lute’s titles and expand our online presence. The marketing intern will help support our marketing and community outreach efforts in these ways:
- Maintaining and developing our website and online presence
- Establishing relationships with constituents such as media outlets, academics, and community centers
- Creating and distributing promotional materials such as flyers and email newsletters
- Coordinating author readings/events, awards, reviews, etc.
- Designing and implementing strategies to increase Aunt Lute’s profile as a publisher and nonprofit arts organization
Responsibilities include assisting the managing editor in all aspects of production, including data entry, scanning and copying documents, and proofreading. The production intern will also assist in converting print books to eBooks and in developing and editing web content. Previous editing experience is not required, but applicants should have a good proofreading eye and an ability to work collaboratively.
The internships pay a small stipend ($150 per month), and academic credit can be arranged. These internships provide an excellent opportunity to learn about book publishing and nonprofit work. In addition to developing skills in marketing or production, the intern will also gain exposure to the operations and editorial aspects of book publishing.
Six-month internship, two days per week, one of which must be a Tuesday or a Thursday, from 11am-5pm. We are open Tues-Fri and will interview applicants on a rolling basis.
Email a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the internship, a résumé, and a writing sample to Shay@auntlute.com. Please include names of references (professional or academic preferred) and information about your availability. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Aunt Lute Books/P.O. Box 410687/San Francisco, CA/94141