Seeking Marketing Intern for Part-Time, Stipended Position in San Francisco
January 24, 2012
Aunt Lute is currently seeking a marketing intern for a part-time, stipended position in San Francisco. You’ll find the details below, and on our internships page. Please help spread the word to those in the Bay Area who may be interested.
Aunt Lute Books is a nonprofit, multicultural women’s press in the Mission District of San Francisco, within walking distance of the 16th and 24th Street Mission BART stations. Since 1982, we have published women’s voices that are underrepresented in mainstream presses by virtue of race, ethnicity, sexuality, socio-economic background, age, or geographic location. Aunt Lute’s titles include fiction, poetry, and critical essays by Paula Gunn Allen, Gloria Anzaldúa, Judy Grahn, Ginu Kamani, Audre Lorde, and Alice Walker. We have also published groundbreaking anthologies of Southeast Asian, Filipina and Filipina American, and Native American women writers. For more information on Aunt Lute, please visit our website at www.auntlute.com.
about our internship program
We are looking for an intern with:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A passion for our mission and an interest in multicultural women’s literature
- Exacting attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Proficiency in web, social media, and computer programs including Word, Excel, WordPress, Adobe InDesign, Google Analytics, MailChimp, etc. (very important core skills for this position)
- Flexbility, motivation, and the ability to work independently
While interns collaborate with all members of the Aunt Lute staff on a wide variety of projects, we are currently looking for an intern to support our marketing and community outreach efforts. The intern will work with the Marketing Director and other staff to promote Aunt Lute’s titles and expand our online presence. The intern may also play a supporting role in A Simple Revolution, an ongoing community project that honors the history and legacy of the Bay Area lesbian movement.
The marketing intern will help with:
- Maintaining and developing our website and online presence
- Establishing relationships with constituents such as media outlets, academics, and community centers
- Creating and distributing promotional materials such as flyers and email newsletters
- Coordinating author readings/events, awards, reviews, etc.
- Designing and implementing strategies to increase Aunt Lute’s profile as a publisher and nonprofit arts organization
The internship pays a small stipend ($150 per month), and academic credit can be arranged. This internship provides an excellent opportunity to learn about book publishing and nonprofit work. In addition to developing skills in marketing, the intern will also gain exposure to the operations, editorial, and production aspects of book publishing.
Six-month internship beginning February 2012, two days per week, one of which must be a Tuesday or a Thursday, from 11am-5pm. We are open Tues-Fri. Applications are due no later than February 15, 2012, and we will interview applicants on a rolling basis.
Email a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the internship, a resumé, and a writing sample. Please include names of references (professional or academic preferred) and information about your availability. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Kara Owens/Aunt Lute Books/P.O. Box 410687/San Francisco, CA/94141